[AccessD] Normalization and De-normalization

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Thu May 27 01:14:17 CDT 2004

Hi Arthur:

...And as a continuation to our conversation about the balancing act between
normalization and de-normalization here are some good books that I am sure
you will find interesting.  I have only read a little bit of one (Handbook
of Relational Design) but the list came highly recommended by a friend who,
has worked as a systems engineer for the last twenty-five years. (We started
out together in the same office many years ago.)

Handbook of Relational Design - Candace C. Fleming and Barbara von
Halle -Addison Wesley ISBN 0-201-11434-8

Fundamentals of Database Systems - Elmasri/Navathe - Benjamin Cummings ISBN
0-8053-0145-3

Database Design for Smarties (Using UML for Data Modeling) - Robert J.
Muller - Morgan Kaufman ISBN 1-55860-515-0

I have also spoken to another friend who has been working with databases
that do not use the standard relational data models. When I have received
more information I will pass it along as well.

Hope you find this information on the Art of database designing challenging.
Jim