[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Thu May 27 11:37:00 CDT 2004

Now Gustav, that is a VERY valid point.  And one that is constantly glossed
over whenever we debate 'bad practice' issues.

Something is really only bad practice when done by someone that doesn't
realize what they are doing.  Just like tossing matches into a bucket of
gasoline is bad practice, if the person is a fire marshal, and they are
doing it for a very specific reason, then it should be done.

Same with almost every other topic that has come up with 'bad practice'
implications.  You are a good developer, so I honestly don't think I would
every have to worry about field size limits in a database built by you.
However, in the beginning of this thread, I was mentioning that a college
course was having their students set field size limits on all of their
fields. (10 characters for a first name, etc.)  So my point was that the
'established' education system out there is teaching bad habits (along with
spaces in the table names, etc).

Drew