[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu May 27 15:09:02 CDT 2004

DWUTKA at marlow.com wrote On 5/27/2004 12:54 PM:

>Hey, I also develop in SQL Server.  It isn't 'derailing' my point, it is
>missing my point.  There is a difference.
>
>If you don't set your fields to 'can grow' when needed, and you can't
>explain to the users that if they type data long then the box you give them,
>then you do have problems.  Big problems.

let me clarify this a bit, I have had to work on someone else's db
because they set a long field size but reports nor, forms reflected it.
Granted the client wasn't computer savy but a few quick changes that I
billed at my door service rate and nothing else was all that was needed,
Not an Hour and a half like you stated, however if I had needed to
increase a field size I doubt it would have taken me that long either way.

I don't set limits to fields to restrict the user from doing what they
need, I do it to limit how much data should go in that particular
field.  I determine how big the data should be based on the business
rules my client has.

--
-Francisco