[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu May 27 15:28:20 CDT 2004

DWUTKA at marlow.com wrote On 5/27/2004 1:09 PM:
<snip>

No, I didn't rip off my client. It took me an hour and a half to fix a

problem HE created. He knows it, I know it. Am I supposed to spend my time

fixing his mistakes for free? There was somewhat of a time pressure

involved, and I was handed a tool to 'work with' SQL Server that I had never

had before. I didn't have any other access to their system. (I couldn't

even create an ASP page to do what I wanted to do.) I only had access to

this 'web tool'. So trust me, he got off light, with it only taking 1.5

hours. He had already spent FIVE hours trying to figure out how to do

anything in that 'web tool'.

<snip>

... This reminds me of that scene in Shainghai Noon where the guy is
burried in the dirt, and he is only given chopsticks to dig his way out.

:).  I've never had a problem w/ clients and their IT people... so I
can't say I would have resorted to the same methods you took... in any
case you mentioned that he had bad db practices, so choosing an overly
restrictive field is very appropriate, still you stuck it to your client
who in this case was a developer.

--
-Francisco