[AccessD] A Database Design Question

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sun May 30 17:28:32 CDT 2004

Oops then I expressed it incorrectly.

Each customer may design her own classifications -- the
CustomerClassifications table.
She has the opportunity to use existing classifications (thus the
Classifications table).
Any new CustomerClassification she adds is also added to the
Classifications table (so some new user can take advantage of their
existence.

Assume the Classifications table contains rows "Admin", "Staff" and
"Grunt". Our hypothetical user isn't satisfied with "Admin"; for various
reasons she needs it to read "Administration", so she adds a new
Classification (#123) and gets a new row in CustomerClassifications
(with CustomerClassificationID 345). There. I think that's a better
explanation. So the question is, should the CustomerDetails table
contain column CustomerClassificationID or ClassificationID? Either way
I get a unique reference. I'm just wondering which way is
architecturally better.

It may be worth pointing out that Customer 123's notion of Admin has
nothing to do with Customer 345's notion of Admin; it's simply a device
to let the data-entry people take advantage of existing Classifications.
No report (that I can imagine) would ever require a list of all the
Details of Classification "Admin". It's always Customer-relative --
except when we cruise Details by a column not mentioned so far -- and
that has no influence on the question.