[AccessD] A Database Design Question

Martin Kahelin mkahelin at gorskibulk.com
Mon May 31 09:08:42 CDT 2004

We have a database (canned) in use with 'seed' entries for lists and
combo-boxes etc.  Nearly all of them allow new entries from the user.
The annoying part is that the 'seed' entries are fixed and are showing
up in lists where we don't use them, i.e.. the fixed/original entries
cannot be deleted.

How many of these 'classifications' do you expect - if there are only a
few as you've indicated then I would put them in the same collection
with a gracious attitude of 'not material'.

One of the most annoying things for reporting is when the database
design exceeds functionality, and believe me, the aforementioned canned
database is a case study in bad-design and relationships dependant on
other relationships.