[AccessD] Network issues PLEASE ADVISE

Mark Breen mark.breen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 10:07:32 CST 2004

Hello Sander,

I wrote an email about this roughly a year ago to the list.

This is a documented aspect of the combination of what happens when
you upgrade your server to Windows 2K.  It effects programmetic links
to back end databases.  It specifically effects the linked table
connection.

There were two ways that I could see to fix it, 1) was to redesign my
system so that I open a seperate db and provide programmatic accesss
to the tables, this would eliminate the need to linked tables, they
would become local tables that happened to the located on a different
server, (local to the DAO object model that is).

The second way to solve it was to just import the tables back into the
front end and not use a FE / BE model.  I was reluctant to do this,
however, when I presented the option to the client, she was happy
enough to do this.  That was a year ago and i have had no problems
with it since.

The 'feature' is clearly documented on the knowledge base and when I
looked at it, MS had said that they had no intention to resolve this
issue.  You are welcome to see if that has changed.

Best of luck with it.

BTW, this issue did only effected databases with programmatic control
of the linked tables.  If you have a database (even a hugh one), that
just connects uning linked forms etc, then you will have no problem.

Best of luck with it,

Mark Breen
Ireland