[AccessD] event identification

Colby, John JColby at dispec.com
Tue Nov 9 11:46:02 CST 2004

Susan,

I have never found a single place to go, particularly for sequence.  The
order of events can get really strange, particularly if you throw in form /
subform loads, subform enter / exit etc.  In the Access help somewhere there
is a generic order of events for the form events, and the control events,
but it definitely cannot tell the whole story.

As far as what's going on behind the scenes... you don't even want to know.
Now you get into things like mouse clicks where Windows hands the mouse
event to Access which translates it into a form / control event.  Normally
Windows directly hands a mouse event to the window the mouse is inside of -
Window meaning a window object, anything square.  That object has to decide
how to handle the click.  Objects inside of Access are not true windows to
windows, thus the mouse event has to be translated by Access using the
position in the Access window etc.

Similarly key down/up/press... is it handled by the form or by the control?
What if the control should but doesn't? (it ripples up to the form AFAIK).

Events are a rather deep subject.

I think I have a widget on my site that uses the control classes and form
class to debug.print all the events that fire, in the order fired as you do
anything in the form.  If you want to use it I will need to go look around
and see what it is called.  It was part of the lecture series I think.

John W. Colby
The DIS Database Guy