[AccessD] Import from .prn File

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Nov 11 10:09:58 CST 2004

On 11 Nov 2004 at 9:49, Elam, Debbie wrote:

> I am trying to import some data from a .prn file.  When I open the file in
> notepad it gives me gibberish, so I assume I will need to open it or convert
> it with specific software.  I found a trial version of ABC Amber CSV
> converter.  It claims to be able to convert a .prn to an Excel spreadsheet.
> The trial version only imports 10 records, and they look just like the
> gibberish in notepad, just put into columns.  I am a little reluctant to
> spring even for $14.95  given the trial performance, but I have not found
> anything else to allow me to read this file properly.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions about how to import this file into Access?

If you have generated the .prn file by directing the output of a printer to
file, you are probably putting out a graphic data dump not text so you will
not be able to import it with ABC Amberm or amny other smilar tool

Recreate the file. This time use the "Generic/Text only" printer driver
instead of the one you are currently using.

--
Stuart