[AccessD] Selecting Languages - English or Spanish or Something

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 19 12:42:44 CST 2004

I use French English Data Entry for Access occasionally in programs for
Canadian Federal Gov't requirements.

For starters you want to setup your keyboard for multilanguage input.
Go to Control panel Regional  Language Setting , Select Language Tab,
Click Details
Now select the language HeHeehee, this is where your problems start.
There are 18 Regional versions of Spanish available.
Okay so select one. Then choose where you want the language selection
bar to appear floating at top of screen or in  taskbar
Check em all off till you are comfortable with one
Also click Key Settings to allow switching language setting from
keyboard, I use Alt-LeftShift.
I have code lying around that allows you to interrogate the language bar
from vba code and switch it. This allows bilingual form data entry.
Now you can enter headers in design mode etc for seperate reports in
whatever language via Unicode
Different languages require you to perhaps change positions on reports,
ie German words are 30% longer than English.
I guess you will have to discuss with your client how to handle detail
lines from tables
Does she want a Spanish translation of Widgets to appear. El Widget? or
La Widget.
There are some automatic translation programs that may help here in
$1000 range.

Then you will have to change your queries and tables to handle this.
Just hope they don't want time and currency formats changed.

Bonne Chance. Buena Suerte

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.