[AccessD] Recordset to a Continuous Form

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 12 12:25:19 CDT 2004

I'm probably missing something real obvious here, but this worked for me.

I used AutoForm to create a quick form on Employees, then changed it to a
Continuous form and deleted the RecordSource property. All the controls
remained intact with their default Name and Control Source property
settings.

Then, I used the following code to populate the form:

Private Sub Form_Load()
  Dim rst As ADODB.Recordset
  Set rst = New ADODB.Recordset
  rst.Open "Employees", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenStatic
  Set Me.Recordset = rst
End Sub

Worked for me -- form is still continuous and it doesn't update the
underlying source. It's strictly a browsing form. If you wanted to update,
you could change the adOpenStatic setting. I didn't spend much time testing
it either, so I may be missing something.

Susan H.

The problem is still one of continuous forms.  The only thing that creates a
continuous form is a bound recordset.  With unbound forms, you have to view
one record at a time.  A continuous form is an optical illusion of sorts,
with only one set of controls on the form, so there is no unbound equivalent
unless you want to populate a list box or a grid with the data.