[AccessD] Recordset to a Continuous Form

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Wed Oct 13 09:06:45 CDT 2004

Ah, the ol' 'Doing it just because you want to know you can do it!'
philosophy.  Welcome to my domain! <grin>

Here's a few pointers on what you are trying to do.  Number one, no, you
can't.  You can't 'trick' Access into using a continuous form, with unbound
data.  If you create a recordset, and set the form's Recordset to your
recordset, you still have a bound form.  The 'continuous form' feature of
the form, is similar to the navigation buttons.  They only work while Access
is in control of the data the form represents. (bound).

You can, however, roll your own unbound version of a continuous form.  What
is a continuous form?  It's just a form that displays more then one record
at a time.  To replicate that in an unbound manner, you simply have to make
'copies' of the controls.  This is somewhat of a pain, since Access doesn't
really allow for control arrays (like VB does), so you have to create the
controls you need at design time, and hide the ones you aren't using.
Scrolling through the records is simply a matter of keeping track of your
'pointer' record.  ie, if you have 6 'rows' of controls, to display a record
(one record per row), and you have 12 records to display, at the beginning,
record 1 will be in the first row (2 in the 2nd, etc...).  Moving down one,
now record 2 will be in the first row, and so on.  I have done this before,
but didn't scroll like that, I put in left/right buttons that let you jump
to the next 'set' of records (moving right would put the 7th record in row
1).

Why in the world would you want to do this for practical purposes?  Well,
the time I built my own, it was because I needed to create a dynamic
combobox, that didn't work right in an bound form.  I needed the combo box
to display only the vendors available to buy a particular product from.  In
a single form, that was fine, but when I went with a continuous form, the
combobox didn't 'act' seperately, changing one changed them all (because
that's how continuous forms work, it's not really a control array...).  With
an unbound solution, I was able to set each combo box individually.  It took
another hour to two to build the form that way, but it accomplished the
goal, and quite frankly was just as functional as a bound form. (for what I
needed to use it for...)

Hope this helps a little in your quest for 'Doing it just because you want
to know you can do it!'! <Grin>

Drew