[AccessD] Updating front-end via batch file?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 16 11:24:04 CDT 2004

I recommend my clients against as it's too easy to end up using an old
version of something.

Here's the setup I use:

1. Each FE has a table called tblAppVersionControl.  One record is entered
per release and has the version number, developer comments, user comments,
and release date.

2. Up on the server, I create the following structure.

  X:\Custom
        \<Database Name>
            <database>.MDB
            Upd_database.Bat
            \Backup

3. In the front end is also a link to tblAppVersionControl in the copy
stored on the server.  At app startup, a version check is made between the
two tables.  If a difference exists, the user comments are displayed and the
user is told they need to update.  The update is the execution of the batch
file.  They only need to execute the batch file directly for the initial
setup.  After that it's accessed via a shortcut.

4. The batch file copies down a new front end, any supporting files (help,
icons, DLLs, etc), and registers any DLLs or type libs.  It also calls a VB
program I wrote to create any required DSN's and shortcuts.

The development cycle is:
  1. Copy MDB to development machine
  2. Make changes.
  3. Update app version control table.
  4. Save current version in \..\backup.  Rename to <database>.version
  4. Copy new version to server.

 Below is one of the batch files.

HTH,
Jim Dettman
(315) 699-3443
jimdettman at earthlink.net

@ECHO.
@ECHO.
@ECHO Checking for application directories...
@ECHO.
%HOMEDRIVE%
CD\
if not exist "%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files" mkdir "%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files"
if not exist "%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files\Traverse Custom" mkdir
"%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files\Traverse Custom"
@ECHO.
@ECHO.
@ECHO Copying application files...
@ECHO.
COPY "P:\Traverse Custom\EDITrafficMonitor\EDITrafficMonitor.MDE"
"%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files\Traverse Custom"
COPY "P:\Traverse Custom\EDITrafficMonitor\EDITrafficMonitor.ICO"
"%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files\Traverse Custom"
COPY "P:\Traverse Custom\Update.ico" "%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files\Traverse
Custom"
COPY "P:\Traverse Custom\vbSendMail.dll" "%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files\Traverse
Custom"
@ECHO.
@ECHO.
@ECHO Setting up environment...
@ECHO.
"P:\Traverse Custom\SetClientEnv.EXE" EDITrafficMonitor %HOMEDRIVE%
"C:\Windows\System32\Regsvr32.exe" "%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files\Traverse
Custom\vbSendMail.dll" /s