[AccessD] ADPs in the future

Martin Reid mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Wed Sep 22 08:37:43 CDT 2004

The problem has been know about for some time. SQL Server 2005 is a major
rewrite and at the time they began development they decided they would not
provide access to its features from Access and ADPs mainly becasue they view
Access as a power user application - STILL. Lot of .NET stuff built into
SQLS erver 2005 and they figured it wasnt worth the cost or effort to
rewrite the ADP functionality in Access to deal with this.

The next version of Access is being previewed in the UK at a user group
meeting on 11 Nov. According to the publicity they (MS)have rebuilt the
Access dev team including a new prroduct manager and it is believed major
changes are being worked on.

I remember replying to that email from Mary Chipman on an MS Newsgroup
saying this was one of Microsofts more stupid ideas. I also recollect
telling the Access project manager the same thing at least a year ago.

Martin