[AccessD] Slightly OT: Know of a good Open Source DBMS?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Apr 5 11:47:04 CDT 2005

Hi Joe

Three option pops forward:

SAP DB (totally free) or the newer MaxDB (from MySQL).
Enterprise level (certified for SAP R/3) and complexity.

Firebird. Very small install package, very easy to maintain.
Originates from InterBase.

PostgreSQL. Widely used "Oracle Light" DBMS.
Large user base.

It all depends on your requirements.

/gustav

>>> JRojas at tnco-inc.com 04/05 6:03 pm >>>
Hi All,

I was considering purchasing MS SQL Server 2000 for our company.
We have several intranet web based applications, which currently use MS
SQL
Server 7 as the backend.

The reason that I am considering the upgrade is that we are reaching
our CAL
limit. I know that I could increase the number of CALs, but I actually
got
SQL 2000 approved in this year's budget!
The problem is that I have the feeling that the price for SQL Server
may not
be justifiable, in my mind, for what we are using it for.

With that said, does anyone know of an Open Source DBMS that has the
functionality of SQL Server?
I know of MySQL, but when I last checked, it did not have stored
procedures
and triggers.

Thanks!
JR