[AccessD] Can an Access mdb tell how it is being reached?

Neal Kling nkling at co.montgomery.ny.us
Fri Apr 8 08:11:43 CDT 2005

I don't think Access could tell you, but if you're lucky you might be able to tell.

If someone makes a VPN connection they have to authenticate to the VPN server or it's domain. If they use remote desktop they have to authenticate either to the computer being connected to, or to that computer's domain. So you can query the Environ() function to return the "USERNAME" amd "USERDOMAIN" environment variables.

Now, I'm guessing that by VPN you mean that they will access the database using a mapped drive or UNC path across the VPN. Here comes the luck part. With luck, when using the VPN they have authenticated locally first. This means that probably the "USERDOMAIN" and possibly the "USERNAME" variables will be different when using a VPN vs. remote desktop.

Neal