[AccessD] Vehicle maintenance database (cross posted)

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 9 14:43:24 CDT 2005

Here is a site with about 500 data models, with some you can get access
mdb structures emailed.
You may have to mix and match from the examples

Barry Williams  'Kick-Start' Data Models
http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm

The VIN contains six sections:  over 17 digits
with a lot of info you might want to purchase a dll that breaks this
down if useful
plus info changes yearly.
 there is a check digit included to stop transposition errors.

I would be suprised if there isn't a pay webservice to decode VIN
accessible by soap.

The World Manufacturer Identification, or WMI, which identifies the
country and company that assembled the vehicle.
In the United States, the WMI is assigned by the Society for Automotive
Engineering (SAE).
The model year of the vehicle, using a single-letter code which is
standardized for all manufacturers.
The model description, in a format chosen by the manufacturer.
The manufacturing plant, in a format chosen by the manufacturer.
The serial number of the vehicle, in a format chosen by the manufacturer.
A check digit used to validate the VIN's validity.
The check digit is calculated using an algorithm which is standardized
for all manufacturers.

For example, the breakdown sheet for a 1996 General Motors vehicle
offers several possibilities for body styles and engines.

A 2-door hatchback is a "2" in position 6
A 5.7 liter V-8 engine is a "5" in position 8

http://www.tedcrane.com/DISCOtech/VIN_Data.htp
http://www.autoinsurancetips.com/vin.htm
http://www.analogx.com/contents/vinview.htm
Maybe check Chilton manuals for a breakdown

VIN 1FMZU34E6XUC84xxx

1FM=  multi-purpose vehicle built by Ford Motor Company USA
Z=    relates to GVW information.  I think Z equals 5000-6000 lbs.
U34=  4-door Explorer 4x4
E=    4.0L SOHC six-cylinder engine
6=    check digit
X=    model year 1999