[AccessD] Client Payment Methods

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Mon Apr 25 09:48:37 CDT 2005

Hi Kath,

I talked with an accountant this morning.  He said that a capitalized
software purchase is depreciated over 3 years (straight-line).  This 'seems'
to indicate that asking them to pay 1/36th of the 'purchase' amount every
month from now on would be OK.  A $10,000 purchase would equate to a $278
monthly payment.  The $278 is regular income to you, and does not end.

Instead of some fraction of the purchase price, you could try to calculate
the monthly value they get, and then charge a portion of that.  This is a
pretty reasonable approach - the customer pays for less than the value they
get for as long as they are getting it.

They could drop out at any time after 6 (or 12?) months - so the risk is on
you to provide something that is worth more to them each month than they pay
each month.  There will need to be a mechanism (or good contract) to turn
off the software if they decide to discontinue.

What I think I'll do is offer continuing Tech Support and Warranty for as
long as they use the software.  So I'll offer a Purchase License and a TSW
License - customer's choice.  And, they can convert a TSW License to a
Purchase License whenever they like.

However - do you license your software or are you contracting with them to
provide software that they will own?  If they will own it, then you'll have
to come up with some additional service to make it worth their money.

** On my website there is a spreadsheet intended for prospective customers
to enable them to calculate for themselves the productivity increase they
will experience by using my software to automate a business process.  Go to
www.promationsystems.com/download.htm.  Download the compressed file that
has an instruction document, an instructional video, and the spreadsheet.
If you are a member of the AccessD list you have my permission to modify the
spreadsheet for your business.  (I used Windows Media Encoder 9.0 to create
the screen capture video.)

Dan Waters