[AccessD] Table of Names

Hollis,Virginia HollisVJ at pgdp.usec.com
Thu Apr 28 07:26:20 CDT 2005

This is what I did in the query, is this correct?

SELECT tbl_Type.NameType, tbl_PermitNames.PermitNames

FROM tbl_PermitNames INNER JOIN ((tbl_NameType INNER JOIN tbl_Permit ON
tbl_NameType.NameTypeID = tbl_Permit.ContactID) INNER JOIN tbl_Type ON
tbl_NameType.TypeID = tbl_Type.TypeID) ON tbl_PermitNames.PermitNamesID
= tbl_NameType.NameTypeID;

If the tables are set up correctly (as above), when I add a combo box on
the form what do I put in the source to have it add the data for the
field into the tables? If I want to select a Contact person, how does it
add the data to the tables? What about adding a new contact to the list?

Virginia

Ok, I think I understand your issue now.  Sorry that my first try was so
far
off.  I did something similar with an address book thingy for this
application.  A given entry could be primary contact on one item,
payroll
contact on another, etc.  So that I did not have to duplicate the people
data, I used an intermediate table to store links to the people data.

There is a table of contact information for each person.  There is
another
table that contains the ID of the record that will be associated with
the
person.  This other table also contains the ID of the person in the
people
data table,

An example:

Table Main
MainID   Contact    ClosedBy     ReleasedBy
3            43           49           49

Intermediate table
IMID    MainID   PersonID
 43       3         754
 49       3         29

People Table
PersonID       FirstName      LastName
 754           Joe            Schmoe
 29            Suzy           Chapstick

So you would store the IMID into the Main table for the various
contacts.
The intermediate table would contain a link to the Main table and the
People
table.  The People table just contains information on the individual
people.

So to get the Contact person, you would link the ContactID to the
Intermediate table IMID and then link the PersonID in the Intermediate
table
to the PersonID in the People table.

In this way, you are not duplicating the People data.

Bobby