[AccessD] Enforcing Database Properties in Code

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Mon Aug 1 09:15:51 CDT 2005

Hello to everyone!

I've set up code that will detect and change database properties as the
database is opened.  For startup properties, you need to shut down the
database and restart before they take effect - i.e., "AllowSpecialKeys".
So, the code will change the property and immediately shut down the
database.  This happens during the startup routines so the user has to
restart to get in. Each time this happens the event is stored in a log which
is sent to me daily.

However, I had believed that the database properties would have been stored
within the application on the PC.  But, with the event log I get it appears
that the properties must be stored either in the BE or the workgroup file,
because even though the properties have been set once on someone's PC, they
may get set again a few days later.  The users don't know how to change the
properties manually, and the toolbar to do that is hidden anyway.  And,
almost all of the users don't use access for anything else.

The database is in AXP, split FE/BE, and secured with a separate workgroup
file.  Also, the administrator needs to go manage the startup properties
from time to time.

My question is - How can I enforce startup properties?

Thanks!

Dan Waters