[AccessD] Security Problem w/existing program

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Mon Aug 8 08:18:55 CDT 2005

Somebody at work came to me w/a problem today. Their program, which runs
on a Citrix box, is written in AXP, so they figured I could help them. I
am feeling a little dumb though because I'm not getting anywhere w/it.

The program is working fine actually, but the security has disappeared.
Now, I don't have much experience with Access security to begin with,
but I have been able to muddle my through it, in the past. However,
everything I've dealt with in the past seemed to include an MDW file,
but no such animal exists in this environment (did this go away with
XP?). I looked at a backup directory they have and it isn't there
either, which leads me to believe it is not just missing.

Instead however, there are a bunch of files I have never worked with
(i.e. .MDO, .MOD, .ODB, .MDA, .MOA). I found nothing, in a search, for
.MDO files, but I found out that .MDA files are "Access Add-ins." I am
now wondering if this is using some add-in that supercedes standard
security procedures. When working though, I believe it acts the same
way...they still go into DB security and manipulate workgroups and
users, and their rights.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can troubleshoot this? I realize I
may not be giving enough info, but I really don't know what else to add,
at this point, so just ask if you need it. I am headed back into it now,
but I'll check back in a bit to see what y'all might have for me.

Thank you!

John W Clark