[AccessD] Bug Report

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Aug 15 09:56:19 CDT 2005

I did not post the bug description, however here is what I sent MS:

Dear Sirs,

I am a professional developer using Microsoft Access.  I have a specific
Access front end that has a particular (pretty complex) form  - tfrmClaim -
that when opened sometimes causes Access to close, no warning.  A little
background:

The issue happens both at my client's office and on my development machine
which is a laptop with all the pieces right on the machine.  The application
is a FE/BE split system, with an MDA holding an application framework
(written by me).  The application uses classes and Withevents (a LOT).

My client uses Office 2K.  They have about 40-50 workstations running a
pretty good mix of Windows 98, Windows 2K and Windows XP.  AFAICT the issue
does not occur on Win98 but does occur on Win2K and WinXP.

The system is a call center for the disability insurance industry.  They
search for a claimant, and when found open a very complex form that displays
all aspects of the claim.  This claim form has about 10 tabs, some of which
are hidden.  The tabs load subforms when clicked on etc to reduce loading
time.  All of that information is just background for you to understand the
situation.

The issue is that the OnOpen event occasionally causes the entire database
to shut down, no warning, no page fault screen nothing.  Just gone.

I have been able to insert debug statements and find where the shutdown
occurs.  It occurs in the same location every time that the shutdown occurs,
at least until you "do something" (developer code wise).  Unfortunately
because it does not happen every time, it is not possible to step through
the code and watch it close, but it is possible to nail it down to a
specific line of code whenever it does shutdown.

In attempting to troubleshoot this issue, I have done all of the typical
decompile / compact / repair, open a new database and import all the
objects, etc.  One day I spent hours working on it, and watched the shutdown
"move" through the OnOpen event until I finally "pushed it out the end sub"
and it started closing back in the form that opens this complex form (the
search result form) - when control returned to that sub.  I thought I had it
nailed at that point but no, awhile later it was back to shutting down in
the OnCurrent of the tfrmClaim.

My client thinks it has something to do with XPSP3, although it does occur
(much less frequently) on other Oses.  It was happening a LOT on the XP SP3
machines, they backed out the SP3 and the occurrence dropped radically -
from every 30 minutes to once a day or so.  My dev machine (laptop) BTW is
XP SP3 and it happens a lot.  I have not attempted to back out the SP3 and
don't really want to do so.  Also, I have OfficeXP on my dev machine and the
bug also occurs under OfficeXP as well.

The problem will occur on the first search, or the 3rd search or the 10th
search, but rarely less often than every 10 searches - at least on my dev
machine.  It does not appear to be data dependent, i.e. I see no pattern as
to which record(s) triggers the shutdown.

BTW, I have "commented out" my application framework such that most of the
functionality of the MDA is not being run - just trying to narrow down the
issue.  There are about a dozen classes that load in OnOpen of the form,
classes that use WithEvents to handle groups of controls and cause specific
interactions to occur.  I have not yet commented all of them out, although
if I did there would be no code left to run.  ;-)

http://folding.stanford.edu/