[AccessD] New Record Appearing on Top

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Tue Aug 16 08:48:20 CDT 2005

Julie,

Yes - and it's a nice feature.

The way to do this is to create fields directly above the subform container
that mimic the fields in the continuous form.  These fields will be unbound.
A user will fill in these fields and push a Save button when done.  The save
button will cause the data in the unbound fields to be inserted into the
table behind the subform.  If your subform is sorted in descending order by
it's autonumber field, then the new record will display at the top of the
subform.

I use this method in an hours tracking database.  The Save button's click
event code is shown below:

Private Sub butSaveHours_Click()

    Dim stgSQL As String

    stgSQL = "INSERT INTO tblHours (ClientID, Category, SubCategory, Hours,
ActivityDate, Description)" _
        & " VALUES (" & txtClientID & ", '" & cboCategory & "', '" &
cboSubCategory & "', " & txtHours & ", '" & txtActivityDate & "', '" &
memDescription & "');"
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.RunSQL stgSQL
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True

    cboCategory = Null
    cboSubCategory = Null
    txtHours = Null
    txtActivityDate = Null
    memDescription = Null

    Me.Refresh

    cboCategory.SetFocus
    butSaveHours.Enabled = False

End Sub

Note that the ClientID field is the Primary Key for the main table and is
also the Foreign Key for the related sub table.

HTH,
Dan Waters