[AccessD] I Need Some Ideas

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 17 08:14:42 CDT 2005

On 15 Aug 2005 at 19:34, Jim Lawrence wrote:

> Our web site needs a lot of work to move to the next level.
>
> A few simple things that would require a bit of research...
>
> 1. Create the definitive link list for the site. You know most of the
> sites from but there are a few out there that are not obvious but
> definitely should be counted... like 'http://www.colbyconsulting.com/'
> or 'http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com' or
> 'http://www.mvps.org/access/' and many more. It would be great to be
> able to create the ultimate Access research page.

You just listed the only sites I use for Access stuff. :)

I do have a series of links in my favourites at work that I can't get
access to at the moment :( Ya just gotta love union negotiations that
end in lockouts instead of a new contract :(

> 2. Putting some of the great comments and code snippets into either a
> gazette or new article for upcoming issues(s).

Hmmmm, this could be an interesting challenge

> 3 List member advertisement pages stores on a MS SQL DB. This is not
> confirmed by the executive yet but I believe it makes sense. We should
> be supporting our list members' accomplishment like their books,
> articles, programs or even design and support companies. We are a way
> from implementing this but the format, design, and coding can be
> started as it will be a lengthy development from creation to
> implementation.

The problem is that I don't know anything about MS SQL of interfacing
in with the web. Nor do I have access to a box with MS SQL and IIS.

> 4. There is of course .Net... and XML/HXML/AJAX... where much of
> Access development is heading/expanding. It is a truly distributive
> application development platform and the performance is really awesome
> when using ASP.Net client side is coupled with ADO.Net... 'a thousand
> users are serviced as fast as one' (Not mine but a quote from a
> book.). Should we be looking seriously at this? Articles, new lists,
> roll our own?

Too many acronymns :) Seriously, I think it would be just a bit too
much for me to learn all at once right now.

> These are just a few of the web site work that is waiting to be
> started and implemented.

There are some good ideas there Jim. I may plug away at some of them.

> Our current web site owners are having some problems getting our MS
> SQL server up and running again but we will be getting MS SQL support
> one way or the other. So you can work/plan for/with a MS SQL set of
> option/solutions.

See above :(

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.