[AccessD] A2000/3:Connecting to SQL Server

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Aug 18 09:00:55 CDT 2005

Darren,

If the BE is in Access and needs to be upgraded to SQL Server, try the
upgrade wizard.  I have run this on some fairly major Access Bes and it
works pretty well.  The only issue I had was dates which have different
ranges between Access and SQL.

The idea is to get the BE upgrading without any issues (data all moves
without errors), then put the FE back in the BE and run it one more time.
The wizard will place the data in SQL Server and create ODBC connections
between the FE (no data anymore) and SQL Server.  The ODBC connections look
for all the world like normal links and at that point your FE should operate
normally.  At least the FE will work now.  You can then start doing other
things to make it faster, more robust etc.

That's the "nutshell" version of the process.

http://folding.stanford.edu/