[AccessD] OT(?): Big Design Up Front (BDUF) vs. XP any comments, ideas, experience?

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Thu Aug 18 13:25:44 CDT 2005

Good reply, Shamil. I am not a fanatic (at least I don't think so LOL), but
I AM very big on BDUF -- this opinion qualified by the realization (as
captured in a famous N.A. ad wherein the guy tells you that GoodYear does
tires but now tune-ups as well. So we are caught between rock and roll and
and a hard disk: by the time you write the software, the company is in a new
business. No doubt about it, this happens! And more than once to me.

So the architecture has to be something like the correct way to design a
house: you should be able to add rooms at any moment without destroying the
scheme. Your next child might be triplets, which would in time radically
alter the design of your home.

Without wanting to lead this thread too far astray, I will mention that my
two principal influences in software design are Moshe Safde and Zakir
Hussain, the former the architect who designed Habitat and many other great
buildings, the latter probably the greatest tabla player who has ever lived.
Both are into highest-level improvisation, working from a basic set of rules
that can combine in thousands of ways. Habitat, IMO, is one of the greatest
edifices ever built. And Zakir, in the realm of music and more specifically
drumming, is without parallel. These two men are the goalposts of my
software ambitions.

So perhaps you may think that I am contradicting myself, but I don't see it
that way. Architecture locked in space and time is dead. It must be as fluid
as improvised music -- and more importantly to this discussion, so must
software. Software must be designed with the anticipation that you will have
another child next year, and be ready to bend and fold and otherwise enhance
said child's life. If we have to rewrite, the design was wrong. We should
simply accommodate, adding a new bedroom if required but not changing the
structure of the house and neither betraying its aesthetics.

This is not simple to do. I appreciate that. I mention it as my goal not my
resume. Now and then I have come close. That is the best I can say. I am
neither Safde nor Hussain.

Look at Habitat. Listen to Track 3 on the first Shakti CD. These are my
goalposts.

Arthur