[AccessD] OT: Zip files (was Logic issue)

Thu Aug 25 10:57:35 CDT 2005

IMHO it's caused by IT people who are too paranoid by far. They invest
thousands on virus scanning software, keep updating the sig files every 24
hours, but in the end they don't trust it to weed out the viruses coming at
them via ZIP files. Rather than scanning the contents of ZIP files they
blindly block them. Also, don't the realize that most (All?) antivirus
programs can be set to scan files when they are opened and or written to
disk? So even if a zip file does have a virus, the anti-virus package should
kill it.

Lambert

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 11:21 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: RE: [AccessD] OT: Zip files (was Logic issue)

Does anyone know what the logic is for blocking zip files?  I run into this
occasionally and it drives me nuts!  You zip files to avoid the filters that
won't accept an mdb, etc., and then you run into filters that won't accept
the zip files.  Oops, Catch-22.  That drumming you hear is my head pounding
against the wall ....

Charlotte Foust