[AccessD] Field Sizes

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 29 14:24:05 CDT 2005

My Thought on the whole thing is that if MS MDB has variable length fields
it doesn't matter what size is requested and set, the data storage shrinks
the minimum anyway. Now if we are referring to MS SQL server DB then
fixed-fields sizes are set.

Historically, all database programs that use variable length data storage
were slower and more prone to corruption but if space is at a premium then
that was required. But with sufficient space fixed size fields were faster
and unless there was a hard drive failure always recoverable.

My two cent worth.
Jim