[AccessD] A Corrupt Database Tale

Thu Dec 1 10:02:26 CST 2005

I just thought I'd add this story to the list of "things that can go wrong",
as another example of why it is so important to have backups.

I was working on this application which I had compiled to an MDE the night
before. Then yesterday I added a new form and some queries and code. Nothing
earth shattering, except that when I tried to make the MDE version all that
happened was that Access created the intermediate db1.mdb file, and then sat
there doing nothing else. No error messages, nothing, but Access was left in
a 'Not Responding' state. The only option I was left with was to kill Access
in Task Manager.

So I tried a Repair and Compact - no good, same problem.
Compacted with JetComp - no good, same problem.
Next I created a new, blank database and imported all the objects from my
problem application. All object imported without complaint, but still I
could not create an MDE file.

I finally fixed the problem by going to the previous night's backup and
importing into it all of the objects that I had changed in the problem mdb
file. Bingo it compiled to an MDE again!  No reason or rhyme, but at least I
got to progress.

So keep making those daily (or twice daily) backups.

Lambert