[AccessD] Access-nay-sayers Was:(access xp runtime)

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Fri Dec 23 01:42:33 CST 2005

Boy do I hear ya on that one!  However, I am the bane of their existence.  I
know I go a bit off-topic sometimes, as far as technical stuff, but with my
current job, I have to adapt and learn many different technologies.  I am
the resident db/vb/web guy, however, because of the size of our IT
department (myself, 1 co-worker (official 'network admin'), and our boss), I
do all sorts of other stuff.  From desktop support, to setting up servers.
In a lot of shops, to get a website 'online' from scratch, you have one
person that builds the server, and sets up the IIS server.  Then the network
admin sets up DNS resolution.  Then a developer builds the website, and
sometimes that involves a database guy, and a web guy (maybe more).  But for
me, I have to do it all, and picking up all of those technologies gives me
an edge when it comes to your 'typical' IT departments.  (I know there are a
few others on here like that....)

So when an IT department wants a SQL Server in place for a small to mid
sized application, I run circles around them, because they don't have a leg
to stand on usually.  It's rare that you find an IT department with actual
experience and knowledge under their belt! ;)

Drew