[AccessD] Independent Developers Question

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Dec 5 23:41:06 CST 2005

Hi Joe,
I develop and test everything in house. I have used Wise/SageKey Scripts for
installation packaging for 6 years. The tuning I have done to the script
makes for a classy install plus it isolates a the runtime from the full
access if it exists (because of the SageKey scripts I have never had to care
about that).

Most of apps have gone out to customer sites I have never been on and have
I've never had an installation issue. I have done this with A97 from Win95
on up to XPsp2. I do not have that breadth of example for A2k on up but am
presently changing everything to A2k3 so I shall soon find out. I really
haven't given it much thought though as I will follow my previous methods
and use Wise/Sagekey.

The installation package can place the FE and the BE where ever they want
each of them to go. In the case of an upgrade the script won't allow the BE
to be replaced. Same with actixe-x (I have distribuited some) and other
files, you can set whether or not they overwrite an existing file based on
version, file date etc. I have used that for the upgraded user manual
(which, of course no one reads anyway).

"Brain-dead" easy on the user end.

I have customized the install for one IT shops that doesn't want to
answer/verify path names, etc. because they have one standard path for every
machine. I hard coded the info into the install package for them and they
can distribute the installation script via a link and let the user click the
link which runs the install script unattended from a network share.

HTH
John B.