[AccessD] Why Change Field Size/was Change Field Size

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Dec 7 03:05:55 CST 2005

Hi Jürgen

Ho ho, no one can stir the pot like you!

/gustav

PS: I hope your revised job conditions fits you well. And I'm sure you are worth every dollar you get paid.

>>> jwelz at hotmail.com 06-12-2005 21:52:17 >>>
Not all consumers of the verbiage generated at this list are skilled
programmers nor do they all have frameworks.  Many, I am sure, are not clear
on normalization.  Many are learning about coding, and I recall seeing
questions about things such as input masks.  Not everyone is equipped to
handle every possible kind of record validation or data error in code.

For some, limits on field size may well represent a meaningful restriction
on data, one that may tune users in on the type of data expected and can
help mitigate a failure to save records.

Bald statements by highly regarded professionals that they do not restrict
text field size without addressing the record size are as helpful as saying
data conflict errors will significantly decrease or vanish if you just use
unbound forms.  It's a cure for a problem, but there are consequences.  If
you look at the history of the previous thread on this topic, you will
realize that there are highly regarded developers with years of experience
who did not know about or consider the matter of record size limitations so
you can be certain that many people who browse for information here would
benefit from a bit more than 'I set field size to 255 for all text fields.

Some of the thread subjects on this topic remind me of that Monty Python
skit/song Spam spam spam spam spam....  the last 10 posts on this topic read
like a mutual admiration society.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta