[AccessD] Excel to Access

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Wed Dec 7 10:39:29 CST 2005

Agreed on all counts.  However he indicated that this was a hand edited
spreadsheet which is exactly why I cautioned as I did.  Excel is just a
nightmare as a data transfer medium, even when machine generated, because of
the issue of stripped leading zeros.  This can kill SSNs for example.

http://folding.stanford.edu/
-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 11:35 AM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Excel to Access

Hi Paul

I would say the best way is the simplest that works reliably.
Manually filled-in worksheets can be a nightmare and then your method may be
the only one. But it is slow.
On the other hand, if the sheets are generated from, say, a mainframe, hold
text or integer columns only and never exploit empty fields, linking is by
far the easiest and fastest method; you may even skip the linking by pulling
the data directly with the IN operator in a query.

/gustav

>>> paul.hartland at isharp.co.uk 07-12-2005 17:17:10 >>>
Wouldn't the best way to do this be to create a table, then get the user to
select the spreadsheet, then use the Excel objects and a recordset to import
the data line by line, you can then at least check for data conformity etc
as it's importing and give the user a report at the end....