[AccessD] Word Automation

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:16:54 CST 2005

I need to find a solution to updating letterhead logos.

My employer has 8 offices and operates as various companies, union and
non-union, with various labour companies and joint ventures.  Up to this
point, I have created several hundred templates reflecting the various
combinations for Contracts, Faxes, Letters, Memos, Change Noitice,
Transmittals, Requests for Information, Rate Changes, Tenders, Warranties,
Bid Bond orders, Price Requests.......................................

The list goes on and on.  I could have 1000 templates.  In most cases, I
have a single template of each type for each logo for document creation by
the application.  However, I need the hundreds of additiional versions for
those users who do not have access to the application.

Most of the templates are Word dot files and any document that can have more
than one page, nearly all, has a subsequent page header with a smaller
version of the logo.  Bottom line, I could be updating a couple thousand
logos.

In the past, I had tried using linked rather than embedded logos.  Change
the file at linked location and the file is the correct logo and the job is
done.  But of course, the logo is lost in the case of emailed docs (the
company has a jealously protected........... collateral program so they
shouldn't be emailing their docs should they?).  The bigger problem that I
had with linked graphic logo files is that I frequently have users hitting
the same template concurrently and the subsequent user(s) get a file locked
message.  I could copy all the hundreds of files to a separate location for
each user but this is getting unweildy, and that doesn't solve the email
problem.  Another problem is that the logos for all the primary players has
changed 3 times in the last two years.  They actually had 1.5 MByte Tif
files that swelled my 35k templates beyond insanity for a few months when I
campaigned for .Wmf files several years ago.  (They said, no problem,
storage is cheap.  I asked whether they could add bandwidth as we had
laptops synching thousands of files over a 128kbit ISDN connection and
merely opening and printing such files would bring the whole system to a
crawl.  Bandwidth was not cheap.  I told them since storage was so cheap,
they could update all our laptops while they were ate it.)

An alternative is to use embedded files and run code to embed the logo at
run time.  An even better method might be to insert one template layer .Dot
file (I can't nor would I want to change Normal.dot) for each logo that runs
code essentially identical to the Access automation code I would have to
write, but would work for people who do not use our Access application.

Here's the question.  When I tried implemeting this last time, the macro
recorder in Word would record the insertion of a graphic, but I could not do
a thing with the graphic while the recorder was running.  I think that the
Picture toolbar was unavailable in Access 97 and 2000.  In Word 2003, I can
select items on the Picture toolbar, but I can't select the graphic to apply
the action to the graphic.  If I select the graphic before impelementing the
macro recorder, it remains selected, but if I select a picture toolbar
button, I still cannot affect the graphic.

I'l like to movesize the graphic to a specified location with a standard
height that is different for the 1st and subsequent page logo and also
different from the default size of the graphic when inserted.

I have been asked to implement a logo change immediately, but the current
version of a typical version is 1,736 bytes and the outlines are too
obviously segmented for me to manually change all the logos now, only to
redo it again with improved files a month from now.

Also, anybody know a decent WMF converter?  Cheap?  I have dozens of
approved bmp, tif, jpg, gif, eps and several Mac versions of files in dozens
of sizes I could convert, but the only .wmf files are under 2k and appear
off in color and lack the quality I believe should appear on the letterhead
of a firm that hired an outside consulting firm for assistance with its
collateral program.  With a conversion program, I might be able to fine tune
a pair of graphics for each logo that would make them the correct sizes upon
insertion and modify margins to get the correct insertion point.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com