[AccessD] OT: How Microsoft Lost the API War

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Sat Dec 10 07:04:55 CST 2005

<<<
> I'm going to be disgrunted if they don't provide a
> new unmanaged interface for
> their Avalon system

Josh,

They can't do what they did with VB6/VBA developers - have a look:

http://www.codeguru.com/columns/Kate/article.php/c11083/
<quote>
a.. The best way to prepare for WPF is to begin with Windows Forms controls
now.
a.. WPF won't replace Windows Forms completely for quite a few release
cycles.
a.. The work that has gone into allowing Windows Forms to integrate with MFC
means that WPF and MFC will integrate well from the first WPF release, and
the release-cycle lag that occurred with Windows Forms 1.x won't occur.
</quote>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/whidbey/mfc2005/default.aspx
<quote>
Looking beyond Visual Studio 2005, C++ developers should expect deepened
integration between MFC and the .NET framework. After the release of Windows
Longhorn, Microsoft intends to add MFC support for key Longhorn APIs and
features. Microsoft also intends to support the Avalon user interface
framework in MFC, providing MFC developers with a bridge to the future of
platform user interface design. In essence, as the platform evolves,
developers can look forward to seeing MFC updated to leverage the latest
managed and native APIs and frameworks.
MFC developers have access to more frameworks than any other type of
developer on the platform. As such, MFC developers are free to leverage the
best from all worlds as it makes business and technological sense to do so.
Microsoft fully expects to support this capability into the foreseeable
future.

</quote>

http://blog.voidnish.com/?p=86
<quote>
Concluding, MFC is not dead now nor is it going to die any time soon; .NET
is not going to kill MFC, rather it's going to complement it; and MFC
applications will not only work on Longhorn, but MFC is being
updated/enhanced to support the Avalon framework. So if you are using MFC
now, continue using it with confidence and pride, and next time you see this
question asked in some forum, feel free to redirect the poster to this blog
entry.
</quote>

Shamil