[AccessD] Upsizing to SQL Server

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Wed Dec 21 17:55:52 CST 2005

In order to test the waters I tried a straight upsize using the upsize
wizard in 2003.  All in all it went pretty well but the reprot does show 6
tables (out of about 140 tables) which did not upsize including one of the
central tables.  Unfortunately there is no error code or any explanation of
why it failed (that I can see).  I found one KB article from MS that talked
about setting the JET ODBC timeout to 0 in the registry (no timeout) but
that did not appear to make any difference.

So the majority are going but a small number aren't, but 3 of them are
rather major tables.  Any ideas?

http://folding.stanford.edu/
-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of John Colby
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 2:05 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] Upsizing to SQL Server

I have a rather large application that I would like to upsize to SQL Server
express.  My concern is that this is a "mission critical" app and am
wondering how to do this.  First, can the express edition be selected from
the Access upsizing wizard?  Second, there are 40 users.  I have no idea
what the actual impact will be on the speed of the app etc.  This would be a
straight data update at first, i.e. just moving the data to the Express
server and linking via odbc (I assume) so that the app works "just like an
access BE".  Since I can't predict the impact, I can't really say whether it
will stand up to the load, be faster, slower, immensely slower etc. and thus
can't just recommend that we "just do it".  SQL Server has a bunch of
improvements that recommend it in general but I have no feel for whether
this would really work.

Has anyone ever done something like this?  The Access BE is approaching 500
mbytes now, with about 40 concurrent users.

http://folding.stanford.edu/