[AccessD] LDB File Left Over

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 27 11:08:00 CST 2005

Arthur,

The LDB can be left for lots of reasons. First, make sure all users are
given read/write/delete priv for the directory where the BE database
resides.  If after that, you still have the problem, then you'll need to
track down which user is causing the problem.

  To do that, download LDBVIEW from Microsoft.  This will let you look at
the LDB file and determine which user left the database in a corrupt state
and/or show you which users JET believes are still in the database.

<< Here
and there in the app I have noticed some code, the likes of which I have
never written, that sets a global variable to point to the BE database. I
have no idea why it might be essential or even useful to do this, nor any
idea whether it is this code that might be the culprit.>>

  That's done for performance.  By keeping a reference to the BE open all
the time, the BE is not repeatedly open/closed as objects are accessed.  You
want to leave it in there.

  To get rid of the current OS lock and delete the file, the simplest is to
reboot the server.  If that's not possible, then you'll need to use system
manage to delete the session that's holding the lock.

Jim.