[AccessD] OT: Memory Lane. IBM Key Punch

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 15:00:44 CST 2005

We had four 029's and one lonely 026 where I worked. The 026 was stuck
back in between the tape drives and the CPU and was really only used
for punching JCL cards. I think the 026 later was moved down into the
basement along with the sorter and interpretter and other card
handling equipment. We continued doing data entry on the 029's and
into the 2501 card reader though. The 029's were much better at the
verification step that all the data entry had to go through. We were
still punching some cards up until about 1993 I think when everything
was switched over to CRT entry.  In 1996 I got to push the old 4361
mainframe CPU and some of it's associated controllers onto a truck
headed to a precious metal recycler to be disassembled/melted down. I
think the 1403 printer, the 2501 card reader and the keypunches were
all sold intact to somebody though. Perhaps as spares or for parts.

The 2501 was a great step up from the 1442 card read punch that we
previously had. The 2501 used LIGHT to read the cards where as the
1442 used steel brushes to read the punched holes. The steel brushs
were always getting damaged, particularly if you didn't release them
before yanking out a jammed card.....

I'm feeling very OLD right now.

GK