[AccessD] Document storage, recommendations

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Feb 24 11:49:50 CST 2005

Hi all

The client wish to store scanned documents, thousands of pages,
everything black/white, no pictures - only invoices, contracts and the
like. Also, the storage should be in the (or a) database, not as
discrete picture files.

I've played with the recently discussed file format DjVu and found,
that file sizes of less than 10 K is realistic. However, this format
seems a little too specialized, thus I've tried using the PNG format
which at max. compression allows for files sizes down to about 15 K per
page.
The file will then be stored as a blob in the database. For display,
the blob is extracted to a temp file and viewed. In this way 1000 pages
will use about 25 MB of database storage which is acceptable.

Before settling on this I would like to know if any of you have
experience with what the minimum specs for an acceptable picture of
document pages (A4 or Letter) are? I've found that 150x150 dpi, b/w (two
colours) and the max. compression level of 9 for PNG is acceptable. But
I'm not the client - perhaps you have experience from some of your
clients about what is usable in this area?

/gustav