[AccessD] A2K: Oh, BROTHER! Have I screwed up or not?

GregSmith at starband.net GregSmith at starband.net
Fri Feb 4 15:07:50 CST 2005

Steve:

Sorry to hear about that.  Been there and done that.  In Access there was
a way to recover a table, form, etc...but I never could figure out how to
do it.  You were "insufficiently paranoid".  Which makes me, what,
sufficiently paranoid...?

To keep from doing what you are about to HAVE to do (go back to
yesterday's code) I use a more "paranoid" scheme to keep from losing my
programming.  Well, at least too much of it.  I name my program file,
let's say, GWSDB-020405 at 1501.mdb, and when I make any significant changes
(which can be defined as...anything more than what I want to retype or
recode or redesign...), I make a copy of this file, store the original in
another folder on another drive on another computer/server (see...told
you...paranoid), and rename the copy to the current time.  That way there
are no duplicates.  The next day, start with a new copy with a different
date and new time.  This has saved my clumsy fingers more than once.

And it takes me all of one or two minutes to do that...so I think it's
worth the time.

And, oh yea, I take a copy offsite when I go home.  Paranoid might be an
understatement...

None of this will help you now...but maybe in the future...:)

Greg

> Dear Group,
>
> I've been working on a complicated module over the past three days in
> Access 2000. I was working in the VBA IDE and I had two module windows
> open as well as the Project Explorer.
>
> There was a bit of code that I wanted to delete in one of the modules,
> so I highlighted it with my mouse and pressed the Delete key. Instead of
> the bit of code being deleted, the other module that was open in the IDE
> was deleted! It no longer appears in the list of modules in the Access
> Database window.
>
> I checked the Options and, sure enough, I had un-checked the option for
.
.
.