[AccessD] masking question

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Feb 9 16:30:42 CST 2005

On 9 Feb 2005 at 8:54, John Clark wrote:

> I don't want leading zeros though...this gives really odd results. If
> you were to type, "ping 010.011.196.017", you are not going to ping the
> intended address, but rather 8.9.196.15
>
> I don't understand this myself...I'm trying to investigate what is
> actually happening on the network side of things, but either way, it
> means I can't store this way. Well, I could, but it would be confusing.

I'll be damned.  So it does.

Turns out it's a *long* standing "feature"

Here's why:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=115388

<quote>
Windows for Workgroups with TCP/IP-32 and Windows NT utilities can accept
Internet Protocol (IP) addresses comprised of decimal, octal, or
hexadecimal numbers. This can cause confusion if you unintentionally use a
leading zero in a decimal octet. With a leading zero, the number is
resolved by these utilities as an octal number, thus specifying the wrong
IP address.
APPLIES TO
•	Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
•	Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
•	Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
•	Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
•	Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.1
•	Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
•	Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
•	Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
•	Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
•	Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
•	Microsoft TCP/IP-32 for Windows for Workgroups 1.0
•	Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.2
•	Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition
•	Microsoft Cluster Server 1.1
</quote>

--
Stuart