[AccessD] Network booting Windows XP

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Feb 11 06:33:54 CST 2005

Well the whole point is to buy a very low cost MB with everything on it -
video, usb, serial, hard disk controller, net, etc.  Nothing is going to
change.  The lowest cost CD and hard drive I can find taken together run
about $70-$80, hard drive by itself about $45-$50.  All the other components
taken together (MB / Athlon64 CPU / 512 mb RAM / Case) run about $280.  So
the hard disk by itself makes up some 16% of the system, not to mention
setting it all up etc.  If I could set it all up then save the image to a
LAN location, then have 1 or 100 systems use that boot image...

I could swear that large companies do this.  And I know for a fact that ALL
motherboards these days have a "boot from LAN" option built into the BIOS.
There is an entire standard designed to allow this.

It appears that no one here knows how to do it, I know I don't, and I
haven't found anything (free) on the web to allow it for Windows, though I
have for Linux.

http://folding.stanford.edu/