[AccessD] CAcert: Code signing certificates. Digital Certificates

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Feb 11 15:00:14 CST 2005

Hi Marty

I thought such certificates were available at a cost only. If you can
get them for free, it opens new opportunities.
Also, if you run Novell eDirectory, Novell offers a free certificate
server service:

http://www.novell.com/products/groupwise/certified.html

Could this be used for copy protection? Or can the user bypass a
missing certificate just be setting security warnings to minimum?

/gustav

>>> martyconnelly at shaw.ca 11-02-2005 19:19:45 >>>
Are you doing this just to get around macro security or do you really
want to sign them.
SageKey installs have a method of  removing macro security.

There are a lot of if, but's and and's to this

Cause you will have to get around locked down users getting the
certificates into their own personal certificate store
Certificates expire, some in 12 months.

 for Medium and High Access 2003 security,  if you add the author to
the
list of Trusted Publishers. It turns out thought that you cannot add a
self-signed certificate to the list of Trusted Publishers on any
machine
other than the one where it was created. So this is hardly an option
for
application deployment, after all.

Does CAcert produce a level 2 or 3 certificate. I think Verisign only
produces level 3?

If the mdb  file will be used within an organization, use Windows
Certificate Services from server?
So you don't need a 3'd party certificate in above case

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odeopg/html/deovrsigningvbaproject.asp

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011225981033.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP010397921033.aspx

What I have been doing is using a vbs script file in the opening
shortcut to the mdb

Const cDatabaseToOpen = "C:\<FileToOpen>.mdb"

On Error Resume Next
Dim AcApp
Set AcApp = CreateObject("Access.Application")
If AcApp.Version >= 11 Then
    AcApp.AutomationSecurity = 1 ' msoAutomationSecurityLow
End If
AcApp.Visible = True
AcApp.OpenCurrentDatabase cDatabaseToOpen
If AcApp.CurrentProject.FullName <> "" Then
    AcApp.UserControl = True
Else
    AcApp.Quit
    MsgBox "Failed to open '" & cDatabaseToOpen  & "'."
End If

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.