[AccessD] A2000: Am I blind? (swe)

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 08:46:04 CST 2005

Gustav,

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the query function COUNT
in Paradox for DOS and Windows has always given the same kind of
result as T-SQL's COUNT DISTINCT. The get an Access-like COUNT in a
query you had to designate COUNT ALL in Paradox.

That COUNT capability of Paradox was one of the few things about its
queries that I found more capable than in Access. The ability to do a
symmetrical outer join in the query designer rather than having to
create a UNION query as in Access, and the ability to make
calculations using "shorthand" field references instead of spelling
out [TableName].[FieldName] as in Access were the two main things I
liked better about Paradox queries. Otherwise, Access queries have
proven to be an order of magnitude more powerful. I can't tell you how
many times I've thanked the stars that Access queries are able to do
the things they do when compared to Paradox. Being able to use
functions in queries is the single biggest advantage. Functions and
subqueries are the biggies.

Thanks, again.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI