[AccessD] Only a "Superstar" Access Developer Can Solve ThisProblem

Lawhon, Alan C Contractor/Morgan Research alan.lawhon at us.army.mil
Thu Feb 17 11:28:50 CST 2005

Charlotte:

Prior to running a query, we do a "descending" sort [manually] on
[Field B] to get the records with the highest "counts" to the top.
In the example I show, the fourth record (where [Field B] = 100),
would sort to the top and the "first record" (where [Field B] = 20)
would sort to the bottom.  Once we have the records in that order,
then we will execute this "calculated field" summation query.

As far as a "unique key" field (like an AutoNumber PK) is concerned,
I don't think such a field is necessary since the text "values" stored
in [Field A] are all "unique" anyway ...  I'm not really interested in
keys and referential integrity for a 2-field table - I just want a
"Running Total" updated (and displayed) onscreen for each record when
this query executes.

You may be right - it may not be possible to execute such a query due
to the fact that one of the operands you need to calculate the
[Running Total] sum for the current record depends on the [Running
Total] sum from the previous record.  To solve this problem, there has
to be a
way to "save" the Running_Total [from the previous record] for use with
the current record.  In datasheet view, I am aware of a keystroke
sequence,
(i.e. CTRL-Apostrophe) which copies and pastes the value from the
previous
record into the same field of the current record.  If this keystroke
sequence could somehow be duplicated within the query, then the
algorithm
for solving this problem would be to "copy" the [Running Total] from the
previous record into the [Running Total] of the current record and then
add the [Field B] value to the [Running Total] of the current record -
and repeat this process for all records to the end of file.  What I was
hoping is that somebody knew (or knows) how to code this "copy and
paste" behavior into a summing expression that can be inserted into a
calculated field cell in the query - and that it will work!

I'm going to (closely) examine this Q205183 Knowledge Base article that
Lambert Heenan and Jim Dettman have referred me to.  This may be the
only
technique that will work for the particular problem that I have
postulated.

Thanks (all) for your comments and suggestions.

Alan C. Lawhon