[AccessD] A2000: Am I blind? (swe)

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 13:36:54 CST 2005

Mark,

Yikes! I haven't gotten within sniffing distance of a database that
big. Of course that would encourage me to make queries as efficient as
possible.

>> No so much looking after anything, I was just 'impressed' with your
consideration of the fact that there were two queries happening when
one does a count and a group by or distinct, I suppose that is the
case, but I never thought of it like that before. <<

I have thought about queries in this way since my Paradox days. It was
usually quicker to do two simple queries rather than make one query do
multiple things. Although I must say that it was possible in a Paradox
query to append records from one table to another and then make a new
table from the combined result.

I have a fondness for MakeTable queries because of my Paradox
experience. I like having an "audit trail" of intermediate query
results if I have a long process requiring lots of calculations and
joins.

Good luck with your "mega" queries.

Steve Erbach