[AccessD] OT: What are you lot doing now and then?

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 08:19:12 CST 2005

Jim, Andy, Tom,

Thank you for taking this survey. You may select one prize each from
the middle shelf. Just kidding! I don't know very many people that
either make a living doing what I do or who work for a company doing
what I do. Things haven't been that great lately and I'm beginning to
wonder whether it's worth it to continue as an independent.

Steve Erbach

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:08:37 -0000, Tom Bolton
<tom.bolton at donnslaw.co.uk> wrote:
> The abridged edition:
>
> 1)  Currently Access/Informix/SQL Server
> 2)  Used to be web-based dev., and desperate to be again (one day - my team
> leader subscribes to this list!!!)
> 3)  Company, 250 employees, one of 5 systems developers on a rolling
> contract
> 4)  No
>
> Cheers
> Tom

Briefly

1.Access development.
2.Similar work.
3.Independent.
4.No.
--
Andy Lacey

1.  Access Development.  I'm actually assigned to Proposal Operations.
However, it includes more and more Access development for clients and
in-house support.
2.  I'm doing more development. I'm still using the same tools with an
emphasis on Access 2000.
3.  I work for a company.  We have about 450 employees - of which, 350
have been hired in the last 3 years.
I am the "technical" advisor for the department.  We have five
personnel assigned.
4.  No certifications.  It seems our clients don't care about the
certifications, especially when we can show them a sample of the
database work we can do.

Note:  In the last few weeks, I have been asked to work "on the side"
as a developer several times.  Recently, I answered a call to a
potential client and our contracting department recommended I do the
work as an independent.
Granted, the amount of work was small, but our company has no vehicle
to handle clients that only need advice or that need only a few hours
of time. The work is out there.

Jim