[AccessD] OT: What are you lot doing now and then?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 19 13:12:23 CST 2005

1) Access and VB developer, support a bunch of legacy and odd software
(Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL, PHP, Linux) and do web site design, setup and
support. I have been trying to get up to speed in ASP and VB.net. (Oh yes
setup networks in my spare time.)

2) A much higher level of sophistication can not longer be a master of all
trades and techs have to specialize far more.

3) Currently Independent. (Just got laid-off because I was over-qualified...
It was either the current senior programmer or me and the senior guy had
been there for 7 years. The manger was cornered and extremely regretful.)
Worked in the industry in virtually every capacity... Government, Own
Business and for private companies.

4) Was certified in Novell and SCO Unix but have long expired but have taken
a number of courses and have been continually reading. Everyone needs a
wealthy benefactor to back the training game.

A group of us, 'senior guys' are trying to form a systems support company.
So far the rooster brags, Oracle DBA, Hardware engineer, a university
graduate document writer, an expert C++ /CGI /Unix /Linux programmer, a
great artist and web designer, a MS network support guru and then there is
me.

Jim