[AccessD] Starting Up On Your Own

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 19 14:16:55 CST 2005

Hi Paul:

The costing is a very difficult area in which to get a solid handle on.
There are no set rules just a series of guide-lines that are vague to say
the least.

Maybe you should work from the angle of how much the business will cost:
Location (electricity, cost of rent even if it is your own house etc.),
phones, web access, cards, equipment, updating skills, accountants, taxes,
licensing etc. Add a few dollars for unexpected costs.

Then your overall expenses, family cost, house, car and projections into the
future.

When that is all done calculate the minimum costs per week. Fold in how many
hours you plan to work and that will give you a base hourly rate. In order
to make a profit you should be charging at least two and a half or three
times that amount. (This is a famous one to three rule. One part for the
base costs, one part for the business and one part for you.)

Here are some further (local) observations:
1.) A single man or woman operation can survive on $35.00 per hour.
2.) Add a partner or two along with addition support or sub-contracting try
$50.00 to $7500 per hour.
3.) Have an office and general staff (salesman), even two or three then
$75.00 to $125.00 and up...

As you become better known and have a list of happy clients you will be able
to charge more. Be willing to work what ever amount of time to get a job
finished on time...If that is 16 hours a day for two week or more, so be it.

I hope the previous helps you and does not scare you off. I wish I knew then
what I know now. My final recommendation is to; if you do not have one, get
a business mentor. Choose someone who has been successful in business and
learn as much as you can from them.

Too many programmers have a tendency to view programming as an art form and
not as a business.... and I am guilty as charged.

HTH
Jim