[AccessD] Microsoft Office Document Image Writer

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 20 00:53:34 CST 2005

Some records management guys asked me to have a look at it recently. on
overall images however it still does a lossy compression but with less
artifacts.
but is good in compression for document text images. I was looking at it
for police departments and use for legal evidence transfer as jpegs dont
cut it.
ATT licensed this in 99 or 2000 to LizardTech but retained rights to
release open source.LizardTech thought to market it to
document image companies like Kodak and Fujitsu as an internal
integration package, they call it Document Express.
So it was never released as a public package. LizardTech was also more
involved with development of MrSid
That where the open source guys came in, since I think ATT labs was none
too pleased.

http://www.lizardtech.com/products/doc/
A lot of Universities are using for document archive publishing for web
site speed and ability of user to cut and paste.
This might replace pdf on the web but pdf is still probably superior for
printing to paper or film
further info here
http://www.vaagmaer.com/djview/

Here is a conversion server to convert pdf jpeg tiff pnmm to djvu

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.